Re: lynx-dev lynx installing

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx installing
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 14:49:37 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Fiber McGee wrote:

> The ,message below from Michael Egerton
> <address@hidden> was forwarded by
> one of the list maintainers.
>
> >I have downloaded the zip file, and unzipped it to lynx folder in windows 98.
> >Would you please let me know how I now use this program.
> >Opening MS DOS in windows gives an error message, and restarting in MS DOS
> >mode
> >does not show an install or an .exe program to start.

It isn't clear that you downloaded the correct zip archive. You
shouldn't have any trouble unzipping, and there should be a LYNX.EXE
file. There are three sites for lynx binaries for Win9x/NT, each
compiled a little differently. If this is your first attempt to
use lynx for Win9x, I would advise the binary from Jim Spath. This
has the most detailed installation instructions. Lynx must be
installed manually; there is no installation program. After you have
lynx working well, you may want to try the binary from Hiroyuki
Senshu (defaults to Japanese installation, but easily converted
to English). Wayne Buttles updates his binary less frequently,
but has the most comprehensive web page about the Windows port.
Pointers to the various binaries can be found on my web site.
"http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/index.html";

It is also possible to compile your own binary. Last time I looked,
the precompiled binaries didn't have support for https. You can
compile your own binary with SSL enabled. I have done this under
cygwin without difficulty. I presume that it can also be done with
other Windows compilers. Someone else would have to comment on how
easily it can be done with non-cygwin compilers. Feel free to write
for advice if you try to compile your own and run into difficulty.
                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden