Re: lynx-dev Happy New Year [again]

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Happy New Year [again]
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:47:24 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Patrick wrote:
>But I doubt that.  It's already proved its usefulness for "web-ready"
>cell phones and other handheld devices that can't do graphics.

It has?  Are you saying that *actual Lynx* runs on cell phones and other
handheld devices?  Can you give examples?

>Now, most of the bug fixes and tweaks I've seen lately are kind
>of small and rather arcane.  Worthy causes all of them, but nothing
>earth-shattering, you know what I mean?  If these are the worst
>problems. . .  NO PROBLEM.  If it's been too difficult to make
>broader changes and improvements, because the source is getting
>too tangled [over 400 source files?  I didn't know that], why
>not hold off on repairs for a while and focus on cleaning up?
>Once that's done, the really amazing stuff like tables and JavaScript
>support might be easier to do.

If you want tables, just use (try out) links
(http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/) or w3m
(http://ei5nazha.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~aito/w3m/eng/).

Though I still fired up lynx to find those two bookmarks (lynx opened
up my bookmark file faster), I use a combination of lynx and links (and
iCab [www.icab.de] as a GUI browser at work, but graphics are turned off the
vast vast vast majority of the time)..

I'm not trying to dissuade anybody from improving lynx, but at least one
of the majorly requested features is already in links.

>Hell, it might also be fun.  Who knows what you might find in
>there?

Why don't you start documenting the code?  That'd be a good step.