Re: lynx-dev Happy New Year [again]

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Happy New Year [again]
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:22:27 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev Happy New Year [again]"
[03/Jan/2001 Wed 11:47:24]
Matt Ackeret wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Patrick wrote:
> >But I doubt that.  It's already proved its usefulness for "web-ready"
> >cell phones and other handheld devices that can't do graphics.
>
> It has?  Are you saying that *actual Lynx* runs on cell phones and other
> handheld devices?  Can you give examples?

Almost.  In this case Lynx is running on a server, NOT the handheld
device, which logs-in via telnet instead.  Sorry, it was a little
while ago.

lynx-dev Tweaking LYNX
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month052000/msg00290.html

That proved its usefulness on small-screen, alphanumeric displays,
but I shouldn't have said that about cell phones.  I was basically
spouting-off -- in response to; "Happy New Year.  (Looking more
and more like the last for Lynx.)"  The sound of it bothered me,
so I made other noises of my own.  Not sensible ones, but heartfelt.

Another correction: there HAS been some "earth-shattering" development
lately, among other housekeeping type patches.  Built-in SSL support
is great, and not mentioning it in my rant -- in effect dismissing
it -- was a rude and ungrateful oversight.  Sorry for that too.

> If you want tables, just use (try out) links
> (http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/) or w3m
> (http://ei5nazha.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~aito/w3m/eng/).
>
> Though I still fired up lynx to find those two bookmarks (lynx opened
> up my bookmark file faster), I use a combination of lynx and links (and
> iCab [www.icab.de] as a GUI browser at work, but graphics are turned off the
> vast vast vast majority of the time)..
>
> I'm not trying to dissuade anybody from improving lynx, but at least one
> of the majorly requested features is already in links.

Yes, but apparently Links is missing a lot of Lynx's best qualities.
Maybe some of these features can be added to Links sometime.

> >Hell, it might also be fun.  Who knows what you might find in
> >there?
>
> Why don't you start documenting the code?  That'd be a good step.

Why don't I learn to shut up?  ;-)  You're talking to someone
who's reasonably fluent in JavaScript and learning Inform.  It'll
be a while before I'm any good with C source, probably longer
before I can contribute to Lynx.

Two questions from this:
        Would anyone recommend reading Lynx source code, as an
        aid in learning C, or would the sheer mass of it be too
        confusing for a novice?

        Are the sort of general comments I throw in -- eg. from
        ordinary users who don't know much about programming --
        any real contribution to the list or just noise?

                             Patrick
                   <mailto:address@hidden>
                <http://www.island.net/~pboylan/>

        "Of all the things I've lost