Re: lynx-dev Building Lynx2-8-4 - when did complicated/undebuggable "con

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Building Lynx2-8-4 - when did complicated/undebuggable "configure" scripts become the norm?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:19:29 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Malcolm Boekhoff wrote:

> I am trying to build Lynx on NT4 with Cygwin (using bash), but, as
> usual when things don't go quite right, I need to find out which one
> of the 200 command-line "configure" arguments I need.
>
> Why can't we have just have a makefile instead of having to create
> the makefile from a 16000 line shell script that is pretty much
> un-debuggable?
>
> I am using the following command:
>
>     configure --build=CYGWIN --target=WIN32 --with-screen=ncurses
> --with-zlib --disable-full-paths --with-ssl --enable-externs; make

I haven't tried to build on NT, but I build with Cygwin on Win98
without problems. You shouldn't need the --build= and --target=
arguments, since these should be done automatically under bash. The
following is the shell script I use to run configure, under bash. It
worked fine for dev.16. Feel free to modify and use. You shouldn't
nedd the "LIBS" setting for librand48.a, since the latest version
takes care of this. That is a good place to put a LIBS directive, if
you should need one.
                               Doug

#!/bin/sh
LIBS="-lrand48" \