lynx-dev Minor install problem on VMS

From: Alder
Subject: lynx-dev Minor install problem on VMS
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 22:59:54 -0700

Hello,

I've built and installed version 2.8.3 of Lynx from the SYSTEM account on VMS 7.2 hobbyist system running TCPIP Services 5.0 and am pretty happy with it. There are a few niggling problems, however, which I hope someone here can help with. Probably just something missing in USERDEFS.H or the config file.

First, when I try to use the Options item Lynx responds with these two messages:

Alert!: Unable to open tempfile
Alert!: LYNXOPTIONS:/

Is this something related to the "#define TEMP_SPACE" line at the very start of USERDEFS.H? The setting I used was:

   #define TEMP_SPACE "SYS$LOGIN:[LYNXTMP]"

and created such a directory in each user's home directory.

Also, I specified the location of LYNX.CFG in the USERDEFS.H file as follows:

#define LYNX_CFG_FILE "Lynx_Dir:lynx.cfg"

- where the LYNX_DIR system logical is created in SYS$STARTUP:SYLOGICALS.COM with
   - $ DEFINE/SYSTEM/NOLOG LYNX_DIR DISK$PROGRAMS:[LYNX.]

Can anyone suggest corrections to these entries or some other changes I should make to get the Options menu to appear?

Thanks,
Alder