Re: Attn: Tom Dickey Re: lynx-dev superscript bugs

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: Attn: Tom Dickey Re: lynx-dev superscript bugs
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 12:41:06 +0100 (BST)

> doesn't work properly).  No one's commented, so I'd give a qualified
> yes.

There are two different uses of Greek characters:

- mathematics;
- correct spelling of Greek words.

Lynx doesn't support MathML, so most cases with maths that it can half
handle are likely to also contains GIFs of formulae.  As such, I don't think
the maths case can be all that strong.

For correct spelling of Greek words, the precedent for some other languages
in the table seems to be to use an anglicised phonetic transliteration rather
than an attempt to emulate the gliph, but simply outputting the romanised
name of the character, without any delimiters, will make the words unreadable.

It seems to me that a better solution to the maths case would be a selectable
mode in which no attempt was made to emulate any character outside the display
character set.