Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek Math entities -- solution

From: Steve White
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek Math entities -- solution
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 06:58:10 -0700

Henry,

A point from our discussions just came home for me:  the distinction
between numeric entities and SGML character entities.

        An HTML numeric character reference is to map directly to a
        character in the document's character set.

        An HTML SGML character entity is to map to a representation
        that *depends on* the *display* capabilities.

In the case of lynx, the display capabilities correspond roughly
to the terminal's character set.

If the display character set contains a a character that represents the
SGML character distinctly, then the entity can be mapped to that character.
Otherwise, some other means has to be found to display it.  It should be
easily recognized, and distinct from other characters in the display
character set.

In graphical browsers, the situation isn't so clear-cut.  For example
many graphical browsers pick-and-choose between available fonts to
display SGML character entities nicely.

Part of the confusion is in what it means to represent the character
"distinctly".

For example, 'α' must be distinct from everything but a glyph of
the greek letter alpha.  '&sum' must be distinct from everything but a
glyph of the greek capital letter sigma.

Damn.  I'm writing the HTML documentation.  Were there no Lynx people
on the HTML committee?

For people who never used the SGML Greek Mathematical symbols as they
were intended, in technical documents alongside Latin letters, and for
people who never saw what happens to such documents when the Greek
symbols are transliterated into Latin, this will be hard to grasp.