Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek Math entities -- solution

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek Math entities -- solution
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 06:14:27 -0700

Henry Nelson wrote:

> By "in this day and age" I was saying that anyone on this list who wishes
> to limit themselves to 94 characters by using a "plain ASCII terminal" is
> doing so by _choice_. * I pass absolutely no judgment on that choice. *
> Mostly I was trying to say that there no longer are hardware or software
> limitations to using the full Unicode repertoire.

I guess the Wyse 60 on my desk does not exist.  It is the console for my
Unix box; I occasionally _need_ to use it because the video console has
gone out for some reason (X crash, the bloody KVM switch is on the blink
again, or power failure -- CPU and Wyse 60 are on UPS, power-sucking CRT
is not).

Admittedly I have never needed to display Greek math symbols to figure
out how to fix my machine and get the video display back up, but your
proclamation goes too far.

Aren't you the same person who objects to growing the size of the Lynx
distribution archive because of your slow net connection?  Most software
distributors these days (and I mean both commercial and open source)
seem to think nothing of tens of megabytes to be downloaded over the
net.  After all, "in this day and age" it is no big deal.  If you don't
have at least a 1.5Mbit DSL connection, that is by your own _choice_
isn't it?