Lynx as a GNU project (Re: lynx-dev archives bad link (fwd))

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Lynx as a GNU project (Re: lynx-dev archives bad link (fwd))
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:49:03 -0700 (PDT)

I am forwarding this note from Russell McOrmond with his permission.
I suggested the online copy of lynx-dev.html from the lynx-help
directory of the lynx distribution at lynx.isc.org as the best
place to describe the lynx-dev mailing list. Are there any other
suggestions?

He implies that the move to savannah is certain. I don't remember
reading that it was. Where is the decision about that? I see that
we already have an empty spot at savannah.gnu.org, but from the FAQ
there, it seems that we would have to agree to become part of the
GNU project to be there. I suspect that lynx would actually be more
appropriate at savannah.nongnu.org. To be a GNU project, we would have
to agree to follow the GNU coding guidelines, change the command-line
arguments to GNU format, and agree not to recommend non-free software
(I believe that the GNU project considers openSSL to be "non-free").
We would also have to agree to put our documentation in texinfo
format.

I am not sure that I see the advantage of becoming part of the GNU
project. The vast majority of projects as savannah are non-GNU. Why do
we want to switch to GNU status at this time?
                       Doug

--
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden