Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx window disappears during an external command

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx window disappears during an external command
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:01:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Atsuhito KOHDA wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I got the following request in Debian Bug Tracking System.
>
>   In .mailcap I have
>   audio/x-wav; aplay '%s'
>   It's annoying that the whole lynx window must disappear
>   during when I'm playing a .wav.
>
> I guess the same thing happens with an other external commands.
>
> I'm not sure if this is really a bug but I'd like to hear
> an opinion from the developers.

I don't think it's a bug.  The user could (in principle) write a mailcap
entry that works around it (by putting the external program into the
background and redirecting its output to /dev/null for instance).  lynx
cannot guess whether it should do that itself - it can only handle the
cases where the external application's output has to be flushed, etc.,
before resuming its own output (such as the samples/lynxviewer script
that I wrote a few years ago).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net