Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.6dev.12 -- CRASH on OSX 10.4.1

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.6dev.12 -- CRASH on OSX 10.4.1
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:39:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Jens Schleusener wrote:

Just for completeness:

1) Using slang (1.4.9) instead of ncurses (5.3) solves the problem for me.

That's expected (aside from the changes to make it work with slang 2,
there should be no noticeable effect on the slang configuration).

2) Compiling, installing and using ncurses 5.4.20050319 instead of 5.3.20021019 solves the problem also.

I'm curious to see what was causing the blinking - I thought I should
have seen that in one of my tests on FreeBSD, though perhaps (since I
was using screen), simply did not have the right conditions to trigger
it.

3) Setting in my "xterm" the variable TERM from xterm to vt100 let reproduce the previously described error (with a "unknown" character filled blinking screen; especially well seen if lynx is prompting for cookie-permissions; all ok if the page is built up) also with the "ncurses-5.4.20050319"-lynx.

ok.

A personally unwanted side-effect of using ncurses 5.4.20050319: Now I got colored characters on a black background but I like the old better readable behaviour (just black characters on a background unchanged by lynx) so I had to study the documentation ;-)

That shouldn't be solely an effect of using current ncurses.  I modified
the ".lss" files to use explicit colors (prompted by some comments regarding the lynx.lss, which I agreed was not very readable for yellow
text on white).  The same ".lss" file should have produced the same
visual effect on earlier versions of ncurses.  (One of the bugs that I
was investigating this week was that my 20041030 change made some
terminals not fill in the background color as intended, but that doesn't
affect xterm).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net