Re: [Lynx-dev] BRF charset support

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] BRF charset support
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:56:48 +0900

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 08:26:05PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> >I would expect lynx to output braille patterns when browsing it, but it
> >doesn't recognize the BRF charset (though it is supported by my debian's
> >glibc's iconv) and lynx considers the text to be latin1, hence the
> >result is "A B C".
>
> Well that's two suggestions; (1) make lynx know more about iconv, and (2)
> make lynx generate Braille patterns.

FYI: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2800.pdf

The key word is "patterns".  (These can then be printed out on a special
printer/machine that does embossing.  _I assume_, since I've never seen
one; only heard about them.  I've also heard of electronic devices that
output a line of Braille just above or below the keyboard.  That was many
years ago, so they may be much more sophisticated these days.)

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999