[Lynx-dev] Can't open non-English pages in browser

From: Yong Huang
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Can't open non-English pages in browser
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:20:26 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Lynx experts,

When I go to a non-English page, I'm prompted for "Alert!: <charset>" followed
by Download or Cancel. If I download to a local file, I can use a local editor
to read it. But how can I view it right inside the lynx browser window? Here's
the text left on my screen after I pressed Cancel (OS Linux; Lynx Version
2.8.5dev.7):

************ START CUT *************
$ lynx http://google.cn

Looking up google.cn
google.cn
Making HTTP connection to google.cn
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently
Data transfer complete
HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently
Looking up www.google.cn
www.google.cn
Making HTTP connection to www.google.cn
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Alert!: gb2312
'A'lways allowing from domain '.google.cn'.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://google.cn/

How do I let lynx know that my terminal is capable of displaying GB2312
characters? Some sites can be accessed (e.g. http://cnd.org) but going to
certain pages inside the site have the same problem (prompted for "Alert!:
gb2312" and then not going anywhere except for Download or Cancel).

Thank you very much.

Yong Huang

Never miss an email again!