Re: [Lynx-dev] Problem accessing a site with Lynx

From: Stefan Caunter
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Problem accessing a site with Lynx
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:07:54 -0500

It is useragent dependent. With

lynx -useragent "Mozilla/4.0" mamedev.org

server returns 200. I suppose it has something to do with BrowserMatch
directives or some kind of workaround apache has cooked up for broken
clients, which unfortunately perpetuates broken stuff.

For example, see this discussion snip from postfix-devel list:

> Sadly, popular appliance edge gateways do respond mid-data rather than
> (as with Postfix) simply bit-bucket the stream until "." and respond
> then. So I hope that you don't delete the code that handles this case.

> I disagree. I would much prefer if all the MTAs refrain from
> implementing such workarounds. That way, the problem will be
> solved where it should be.

which seems sensible for a server. At the least, a webserver
workaround shouldn't break responses to a well-behaved client ;)

Stef
http://caunter.ca/contact.html