Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.7 and numeric IPv6 adddresses

From: Andre-John Mas
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.7 and numeric IPv6 adddresses
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:48:43 -0500

On 7-Jan-08, at 20:37 , Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Andre-John Mas wrote:

advice).  But HTParse.c is the starting point.

Thanks I'll take a look at that. A few questions:
- Are there any VMS implementations that support IPv6?

google "vms ipv6" indicates that it's supported.

This side of it is probably not a big concern - VMS users are few...

- Are there any good references describing the syntax of VMS path?

There are manuals on HP's site (I'm not that familiar with where to
find them).  Essentially a VMS pathname could look like this:

        node::device:[level.level]filename.suffix;1

The parts are optional, e.g.,

        [level.level]   is a valid directory name
        [000000]        is like the "/" path on Unix
        [level.]        is valid too

I've cleaned up most of the checks for string-as-url versus string- as-pathname, but adding square brackets to the URLs runs the risk of tripping over some check for VMS.

Of course "usually" a pathname is distinct from URL, and most of the
VMS code is ifdef'd.

So in this case, we could technically not provide ipv6 support for VMS, if it makes it easier adding proper support for other platforms? I tempted to try supporting most platforms and then coming back and seeing what can be done for VMS.

Andre