Re: [Lynx-dev] viewing of local .c and .h files

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] viewing of local .c and .h files
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:35:33 -0500

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:35:46PM +0100, Jasper wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> In my system ( Debian Etch ) Lynx calls 'less' to view local files
> with .c or .h extension.
>
> Now I want Lynx to display these files simply like other plain textfiles
> in the 'internal' viewer.
>
> I can trick Lynx into doing that by commenting out the corresponding
> lines in /etc/mime.types : apparently Lynx defaults to the internal
> viewer if it does not know what else to do.
>
> My question is: what is the proper way to do this ?

That sounds like it's all you can do.  You can configure lynx to use
a different configuration file, e.g.,

GLOBAL_MAILCAP:~/mailcap.txt

(that is what I do, by setting $LYNX_CFG to point to my own file)

but the system's /etc/mailcap (or whatever) is supposed to reflect general
resources available on the system.

A quick check on my system shows it bringing up kedit - a program that's
less useful than "less".

> Note: if I tell it to call Lynx in stead of 'less' ( in /etc/mailcap or
> ~/.mailcap ) then it starts a second instance of Lynx, which is also not
> what we want.

That's because the mailcap file is only designed to tell what _program_
to handle a given type.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net