Re: [Lynx-dev] Unicode-marking, &c

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Unicode-marking, &c
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:10:13 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, address@hidden wrote:

2009/02/26 11:00 -0500, Thomas Dickey >>>>
Lynx handles _some_ cases - but a url would help, so we can see. <<<<<<<< I made it happen on a file right on my Windows-machine, with no server connection. But also this, I ween, http://www.ewh.ieee.org/r4/toledo/meetings/futuremeetings.html. There are queer things in this, but ...,

yes - it has the meta tags after the title for UTF-8, but has a BOM right up front. Lynx isn't seeing the charset tag when it gets the page.

tidy doesn't like the file

futuremeetings.html:1:1: - Warning: specified input encoding (iso-8859-1) does
not match actual input encoding (utf-8)

The UTF-8 BOM is redundant (since it doesn't tell anything about the byte-order, and since there's no useful content in the headers that
would be in UTF-8 before the charset has to be parsed).

http://www.nysds.org/nysds/main.cfm

This one doesn't have a charset, but it's in the header.
That's in the content-type - which is ok:

http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset

(perhaps lynx is not parsing that - I don't see it in the trace)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net