Re: [Lynx-dev] Unicode-marking, &c

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Unicode-marking, &c
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:26:41 +0000 (UTC)

address@hidden dixit:

.oO(your style of quotation is… annoying)

>Indeed, but Microsoft is heavily involved in Unicode.

This is not GNU/Linux here. Microsoft® bashing is not necessarily
needed/desired.

>I would expect serious pushing for it in Microsoft s own wares, more
>than on other systems.

True, but nothing prevents other systems from adhering to either
official or “industry” standards. In fact, mksh (probably the most
widely used software of mine by now) has gained support for the UTF-8
BOM in shell scripts some time ago (including switching the UTF-8 mode
of the shell on if input begins with it). The wchar_t patch for pcc
(the Portable C Compiler) I wrote also understands the BOM (it’s a bit
tricky because only the very first three (UTF-8) bytes of the file are
to be looked at).

//mirabilos
--
“It is inappropriate to require that a time represented as
 seconds since the Epoch precisely represent the number of