[Lynx-dev] -dump/-source vrs .newsauth: bug or feature?

From: aw585
Subject: [Lynx-dev] -dump/-source vrs .newsauth: bug or feature?
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 19:20:55 GMT

lynx -version:

Lynx Version 2.8.7pre.1 (17 Mar 2009)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, ncurses 5.6.20080925(wide)
Built on linux-gnu Mar 23 2009 00:11:27

--

I've no trouble connecting up to a local newsserver
that requires login, interactively, using the .newsauth

If, however, I try doing a -dump or -source:

Connecting to NewsHost ...
Looking up news.lafn.org
Making NNTP connection to news.lafn.org

lynx: Can't access startfile nntp://news.lafn.org/comp.lang.forth

--

Is this intentional behaviour for lynx or a bug?

I've nothing to base this on, but my suspicion is that
non-interactively, Lynx is confused about where
to look for the .newsauth file.

Another problem with reading news is that I can
look at messages with w3m at textnews.news.cambrium.nl,
but trying the same with lynx, I can get the list of messages,
but trying to look at a specific message produces:

Network Error: connection lost

--
(No such problem with the local server interactively.)

Any idea if I'm doing something wrong there?

(I'm on the digest, you might want to CC me for quicker responses.)

Thanks, Dallas E. Legan II / address@hidden / address@hidden
http://isthereanotherquestion.blogspot.com
"Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"
        - "At the Mountains of Madness", H.P.