Re: [Lynx-dev] The HTML hidden attribute

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] The HTML hidden attribute
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 16:41:41 +0000

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:30:53AM -0500, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Further as a real world example, say when a person is in a low graphics
> environment, and using speech, why would you want the attribute hidden?

As I understand it, it's a hack for writing context menus which work in
as many environments as possible.

The menu options are made visible by CSS when a checkbox is checked,
but the checkbox is an implementation detail and should not actually
be shown on the screen.  It's only relevant on a graphical browser,
because Lynx will show all the menu items all the time without need
for the checkbox.

(On a graphical browser, you can check a checkbox even when it's not
on the screen by clicking on a label for the checkbox.  The CSS will
make sure that the label is shown on the screen - but again, only for
graphical browsers, because in Lynx you don't have to click to show
the menu items.)

The HTML hidden attribute is new in HTML5 so it doesn't surprise me
that Lynx doesn't implement it (even though HTML5 is not that new any
more).

imc