Re: Generating dependencies

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Generating dependencies
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:31:08 -0500

%% sheetaltalwar <address@hidden> writes:

  s> I am working on a project which presently we are compiling with the help
  s> of OPUS make utility. Now we want to change it to GNU make..
  s> Previously we were using the OPUS MKMF utility to generate the
  s> dependency of the different OBJS in the project, as it is huge project
  s> and includes many files. The MKMF utility enables the file dependencies
  s> to be generated automatically by reading the preprcessor include
  s> information from the source files recurrsively .

  s> Can we somehow introduce this feature in GNU make file. As introducing
  s> the dependencies in rule manually is difficult and has to be changed
  s> everytime the relation is changed.

  s> I would be thankful if someone would help me or guide me for that. If u
  s> r not clear about the problem, kindly ask for more details..

I think this is not really an appropriate question for the make-alpha
list; questions about how best to use the tool are better asked on
help-make.

There are already a large number of ways to do automatic dependency
tracking in GNU make, using the normal user-visible features of the
tool, that do a pretty good job.  There is no urgent need (that I can
see) for trying to modify the source to have dependency tracking somehow
built in.

There is one method described in the GNU make manual, and another one in
a paper on my web site below.  If those don't fit the bill, feel free to
describe the problem in more detail.

Thanks...

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/