make ./ChangeLog ./NEWS ./filedef.h ./job.c ./j...

From: Paul D . Smith
Subject: make ./ChangeLog ./NEWS ./filedef.h ./job.c ./j...
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 09:57:22 -0400

CVSROOT:        /cvsroot/make
Module name:    make
Branch:
Changes by:     Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>  05/05/03 13:57:21

Modified files:
        .              : ChangeLog NEWS filedef.h job.c job.h main.c
                         read.c vmsfunctions.c
        doc            : make.texi
        tests          : ChangeLog
        tests/scripts/features: parallelism
Added files:
        .              : vmsjobs.c
        tests/scripts/variables: DEFAULT_GOAL
Removed files:
        tests/scripts/variables: DEFAULT_TARGET

Log message:
        Fix problems with losing tokens in the jobserver, reported by Grant
        Taylor.  There are two forms of this: first, it was possible to lose
        tokens when using -j and -l at the same time, because waiting jobs were
        not checked when determining whether any jobs were outstanding.  Second,
        if you had an exported recursive variable that contained a $(shell ...)
        function there is a possibility to lose tokens, since a token was taken
        but the child list was not updated until after the shell function was
        complete.

        To resolve this I introduced a new variable that counted the number of
        tokens we have obtained, rather than checking whether there were any
        children on the list.  I also added some sanity checks to make sure we
        weren't writing back too many or not enough tokens.  And, the master
        make will drain the token pipe before exiting and compare the count of
        tokens at the end to what was written there at the beginning.

        Also:
        * Ensure a bug in the environment (missing "=") doesn't cause make to
core.
        * Rename the .DEFAULT_TARGET variable to .DEFAULT_GOAL, to match the
        terminology in the documentation and other variables like MAKECMDGOALS.
        * Add documentation of the .DEFAULT_GOAL special variable.

        Still need to document the secondary expansion stuff...

CVSWeb URLs:
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/make/make/vmsjobs.c?rev=2.1
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/make/make/ChangeLog.diff?tr1=2.268&tr2=2.269&r1=text&r2=text
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/make/make/NEWS.diff?tr1=2.71&tr2=2.72&r1=text&r2=text