Re: GNU make: Next release schedule.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU make: Next release schedule.
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 23:50:24 +0300

> From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:22:08 -0400
>
> After the release, I'll be converting the GNU make CVS archive over to
> git.  Windows folks, please let me know if you will be OK with this; I'm
> not sure what the current status of git support on Windows is.

Using git on Windows requires to install MSYS (it comes in the same
package as the ported git).  I'd like to avoid having yet another
incompatible set of tools with the same names on my machine.

Learning yet another CM tool is also not the best use of my scarce
time and resources, so I'd like to avoid that unless absolutely
necessary.

Will it be possible to have a CVS gateway to git?  If so, it will make
me happy, as I don't intend to do any serious development in Make that
would require branching any time soon.

Another possibility would be to use bzr instead of git.  Emacs is
going to switch to bzr soon, and when it does, so will I.  However,
AFAIK, people who work on GNU/Linux don't like bzr because it's too
slow to their liking, so I won't push this possibility, I'm just
mentioning it as a reasonable compromise if you are willing to
consider it.

Thanks.