Re: SCM tools (was: Re: GNU make: Next release schedule.)

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: SCM tools (was: Re: GNU make: Next release schedule.)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:51:09 -0400

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 20:07 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> > Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 08:45:23 -0400
> >
> > If we get a one-way (read-only) CVS access point would that be
> > sufficient?  It would mean that you'd need to email patches, if you
> > didn't want to mess with git.
>
> That'd be terribly inefficient, IMO.  I hope a two-way CVS access can
> be set up.

The problem with two-way is that CVS is so anemic, feature-wise,
compared to git that going from CVS to git is problematic.  I suppose
you could set it up so that all changes coming from CVS were imported
into a separate git branch, then they'd need to be merged to the head
branch.  Or maybe you could configure some kind of mapping between CVS
branches and git branches.

Someone must have done this kind of thing before.  I'll check with the
Savannah folks about what's available.