.ONESHELL enhancement?

From: David Boyce
Subject: .ONESHELL enhancement?
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:29:51 -0400

I have an interest in seeing the .ONESHELL special target enhancement
implemented, as recommended by POSIX (see the RATIONALE section within
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/). So I have a few
questions for the GNU make gatekeepers:

- Would such an enhancement be welcomed, with a likelihood of eventual
incorporation?

- If it could be shown reliably to not affect anyone not specifying
.ONESHELL, would it have a chance of making the 3.82 release? That's
assuming 3.82 isn't still on an Oct 1 schedule, of course.

- This _feels_ like a pretty easy feature to add; though I don't know
the sources well, it appears that the "recipe" is contained within
file->cmds->commands in a newline-separated sequence of commands.
AFAICT it seems like a simple matter of splitting this on newlines and
replacing them with " && ", which is supported by both POSIX and
Windows shells. Am I right, and if so can anyone suggest the best
place to make the change? I'm looking at execute_file_commands() or
new_job() but there may be a better place. Of course it would be most
elegant to separate commands in the string with "&&" in the first
place rather than replacing later, but I suspect that due to parse
order we might not have seen .ONESHELL in time to do this.

Thanks,
David Boyce