Re: .ONESHELL enhancement?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: .ONESHELL enhancement?
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:53:26 +0300

> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:29:51 -0400
> From: David Boyce <address@hidden>
>
> I have an interest in seeing the .ONESHELL special target enhancement
> implemented, as recommended by POSIX (see the RATIONALE section within
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/). So I have a few
> questions for the GNU make gatekeepers:

I'm not the GNU Make maintainer, just one of the apprentices, so
please wait for Paul to give you the definitive answer.

> - This _feels_ like a pretty easy feature to add; though I don't know
> the sources well, it appears that the "recipe" is contained within
> file->cmds->commands in a newline-separated sequence of commands.
> AFAICT it seems like a simple matter of splitting this on newlines and
> replacing them with " && ", which is supported by both POSIX and
> Windows shells.

"&&" works on Windows only with cmd.exe (and probably also 4nt and
friends), but not for command.com.  The latter cannot support multiple
commands on a single command line, so we will need to punt.

And for the DOS (a.k.a. DJGPP) port, you will need to use ";" instead,
since the `system' function in DJGPP enhances the system shell with
several features, including this one.