Re: .ONESHELL enhancement?

From: Matt McCutchen
Subject: Re: .ONESHELL enhancement?
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:37:20 -0400

On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 08:48 -0400, David Boyce wrote:
> The reference to the "advantage of performance" is a strong hint; you
> can't compare two techniques for performance unless they do pretty
> much the same thing.

I disagree.  To compare two techniques for performance, they must be
interchangeable in some context, but there certainly doesn't need to be
an automatic semantic-preserving conversion from one to the other.  For
example, people compare performance of Apache's mod_proxy and mod_jk:

http://anilsaldhana.blogspot.com/2006/04/modjk-versus-modproxy.html

> Similarly, it seems clear to me anyway that the
> "lack of requirement for many continued lines" simply means that it's
> nice to not have to type (and see) a literal &&\ at the end of each
> line.

I disagree.  As I read it, the sentence is comparing the multi-shell and
single-shell methods and is implying that the "lack of a requirement for
many continued lines" is an advantage of the latter over the former.

> BTW, can you give an example of a whose semantics would be changed by
> adding &&, such that {} or () is needed? Seems to me that the
> precedence rules make this safe

false
true || echo bar

--