Re: Status of rc1

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: Status of rc1
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:43:26 +0200

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in getting back on this. I was (predictably)
swamped with work after spending a week hacking on make ;-).

Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. DavidB found a problem building MySQL on Solaris (doesn't happen on
> Linux, oddly enough) where the wrong implicit rule was being chosen.  I
> think this is related to Boris' changes but it seems to be a rule
> ordering issue, NOT a known consequence of the change in behavior (the
> stems seem to all be the same length).

Hm, if it were a rule ordering issue then it should have manifested
itself on Linux as well since rule sorting is stable (unless, of
course, the rules in question are Solaris-specific).

> I'm trying to look into this one a bit more.

I don't have a Solaris box handy where I can try this. Let me know if
you find anything puzzling.

> 2. I found an issue where if you run "make" in an empty directory it
> used to say "No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop."  but
> now it says "No rule to make target `GNUmakefile'.  Stop."  I believe
> this is a result of the change to get included makefile error handling
> to work better; Boris if you have time you might want to check this out;
> otherwise I'll look into it after I suss out #1.

Fixed this one.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis Tools  http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog