Re: Commit instructions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Commit instructions
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:50:37 +0300

> From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 08:19:27 -0400
>
> One question; I've seen this in other places as well but I don't
> understand it: is there a purpose to indenting the body of the commit
> message by one space?

It allows me to easily discern between the summary line and the
details, and also makes it easier to search for the next commit when
paging through the log.  Otherwise, there's nothing sacred about it.

> Also, if we're going to be following ChangeLog conventions wouldn't each
> section be preceded by a "*"?

I think it gets in the way when you want to read the changes, but if
you want these, I won't object.

> >   . Changes submitted by people who don't have copyright assignment on
> >     file.  These were marked "tiny changes" in the ChangeLog files,
> >     but now we need to make sure these marks will get propagated to
> >     ChangeLog when the release is tarred.  How to format these
> >     attributes?
>
> The gitlog-to-changelog script I'm currently using (from gnulib) gives
> this information:
>
> SPECIAL SYNTAX:
>
> The following types of strings are interpreted specially when they appear
> at the beginning of a log message line.  They are not copied to the output.
>
>   Copyright-paperwork-exempt: Yes
>     Append the "(tiny change)" notation to the usual "date name email"
>     ChangeLog header to mark a change that does not require a copyright
>     assignment.

So I need to have a literal "Copyright-paperwork-exempt: Yes"
somewhere in the commit message?

> >   . How to mark changes that resolve Savannah bugs?  Is there some
> >     special git switch to do that?
>
> Unfortunately Savannah has no integration with Git that I'm aware of, so
> you have to continue to do this by hand.
>
> I have been using the notation "[SV <bug#>]" in the commit summary line
> to mark changes related to Savannah bugs, but that's just a style.

I'm accustomed to something like this:

  Fix SV bug#NNNN with doing this-and-that when such-and-such.

is that OK?

More importantly, will these references end up in the ChangeLog that
is produced from git log?