make-w32

Re: Bug report: Compile with Microsoft and Intel compiler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bug report: Compile with Microsoft and Intel compiler
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:02:01 +0300

> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:28:03 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
>
>   ez> The error is just because the compiler was invoked with the
>   ez> equivalent of -Werror.  The warning is justified since `struct
>   ez> token' is not defined anywhere.
>
> That's perfectly legitimate though.

Sure, but to many programmers it will look suspiciously like a bug.
It's up to you, but I'd recommend to use a void pointer instead, its
disadvantages notwithstanding.  After all, a void pointer will also
cause compiler errors if you try to dereference it without a cast or
do some arithmetics with it.

> This code (hash.c and hash.h) is lifted essentially verbatim from the
> GNU id-utils package.

Figured that much ;-)