make-w32

Re: [Angelo.Graziosi: Problems with patched gnu make ? (was:Need Volunte

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Angelo.Graziosi: Problems with patched gnu make ? (was:Need Volunteers to test patch for gnu make)]
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 12:27:23 +0200

> Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:59:00 -0400
> From: Christopher Faylor <address@hidden>
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden> -----
>
> From: Angelo Graziosi <Angelo.Graziosi-AT-roma1-DOT-infn-DOT-it>
> To: cygwin
> Subject: Problems with patched gnu make ? (was:Need Volunteers to test patch
> for gnu make)
> Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 02:35:52 +0200 (MET DST)
>
> I use this since Sep 08, but now I have found a problem with
> http://www.cmake.org/files/cygwin/make.exe.

What is this URL?  Are you sure this is the binary compiled from
official Make 3.81 distribution patched by the HAVE_DOS_PATHS patch
and nothing else?

> When I build GFortran with this version of make it fails:
> rm -f ./libgcov.a
> ar  rc ./libgcov.a libgcc/./_gcov.o libgcc/./_gcov_merge_add.o
> libgcc/./_gcov_merge_single.o libgcc/./_gcov_merge_delta.o
> libgcc/./_gcov_fork.o libgcc/./_gcov_execl.o libgcc/./_gcov_execlp.o
> libgcc/./_gcov_execle.o libgcc/./_gcov_execv.o libgcc/./_gcov_execvp.o
> libgcc/./_gcov_execve.o libgcc/./_gcov_interval_profiler.o
> libgcc/./_gcov_pow2_profiler.o libgcc/./_gcov_one_value_profiler.o
> ranlib ./libgcov.a
> make[4]: Leaving directory
> `/home/Angelo/Downloads/GFortran/gcc/.build/gcc'
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `cpp.texi', needed by
> `doc/cpp.info'.  Stop.
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/Angelo/Downloads/GFortran/gcc/.build/gcc'
> make[2]: *** [all-stage1-gcc] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Angelo/Downloads/GFortran/gcc/.build'
> make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Angelo/Downloads/GFortran/gcc/.build'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> Using the official version in Cygwin of make (make-3.81-1) the build
> is completed without problem:

Thanks for testing and for reporting this, but please show at least
the offending dependency (the one which the patched Make reports as
missing above, but the unpatched Make does find).  My crystal ball
says that VPATH or vpath might be the culprit, so please try to look
at those, and if VPATH is not the problem, please try to analyze the
reasons for the failure and show the suspect parts of the Makefile(s).

If nothing gives the clue, I guess posting here the full output of
"make -d" in both cases would be the way to go.

(I don't have Cygwin installed, so I cannot myself try to reproduce
these problems.)

P.S.  If you want to continue the thread on the Cygwin list, please CC
address@hidden, since at least I am not subscribed to the Cygwin
list.

TIA