mediagoblin-devel

Re: Initial run of ./bin/dbupdate fails.

From: Art
Subject: Re: Initial run of ./bin/dbupdate fails.
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:30:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 20 Aug 2023, Ben Sturmfels wrote:

Hi Art,

Following up on your MediaGoblin issue from October 2022 - we now have
Python 3.10, 3.11 and 3.12 support in the master branch:

See the upgrade guide
(https://docs.mediagoblin.org/en/stable/siteadmin/upgrading.html) but
use the following line to switch to the master branch:

 git fetch && git checkout -q master && git pull && git submodule update

We'll aim to release v0.13 soon with these update.

Regards,
Ben

Hi Ben,

this is quite welcome news! Looking forward to the new release!

FWIW and both related and a bit off topic: Today I'm starting more serious testing to see if we're at a "v 0.9" release level for a new open source package I'm working on...

The impetus for this new software was to GET RID of otherwise completely unneeded dependencies on Pyton 3.x from another open source project! (To be fair, that wasn't the ONLY needless dependency issue with the package.) My goal was to create something nearly as good with NO dependencies other than a GNU based operating environment! So, I started with a clean slate.

When I had invested only about 4 hours from scratch and had a working software package that did what I myself needed, (easily a mere 10% or less of the time I'd wasted trying to unsuccessfully get the other standard RPM-delivered package working with Python 3), that's when I was urged by others to go ahead and make it a new thing!

Such is how some software projects are born, I guess!

BY THE WAY, THREE CHEERS for Media Goblin for recognizing that dependencies are REAL issues and trying to minimize them. Some projects seem to not notice the headaches they create "downstream." My hat's off to you!

Cheers,
Art

Ben Sturmfels via <mediagoblin-devel@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Art,

export
PYTHONPATH="/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages:/usr/src/mediagoblin/lib/python3.10/site-packages"

Very sorry for the slow response. Unfortunately we don't yet support
Python 3.10 due to our older version of Celery. I'm hoping to have this
fixed soon.

Aside from this, the Jinja2 dependency issues you hit are likely fixed
in the upcoming version 0.12.1, but obviously this won't help you due to
the above. Soon after 0.12.1 we hope to release a 0.13.0 with support for
Python 3.10 and a recent pip to help further reduce dependency issues.

Regards,
Ben