monit-dev

Re: Proposal: testing

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Proposal: testing
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 04:12:33 +0200

Rory Toma <address@hidden> writes:

> That's what I'm thinking.

Good thinking!

> I'd like a three process monitrc file (so we can have dependancy).
>
> I propose:
>
> apache (on non default port)
> sshd (on non default port)

Agree, but why on non default port?

> some other process that is easy to set up.

How about this one? It's a dummy which pops up an xterm.

check xterm with pidfile /tmp/tst.pid
 start program = "/home/hauk/bin/tst start -bg blue -fn 7x13eurobold"
 # Testing arguments, above
 stop program  = "/home/hauk/bin/tst stop"
 # These two cheats and test an external server
 if failed host nettvenn.sol.no port 80 proto http
    request "/index.jhtml?action=user_create" then alert
 if failed host shop.sol.no port 443 type TCPSSL proto http then alert
 alert address@hidden
 if 3 restarts within 3 cycles then timeout

It's visual and it is easy to add several if-tests to this one and
it's also easy to kill the xterm so you can test various error
conditions.

The tst script looks like this:
----------------------------------------------------------------8<-------
#!/bin/bash
exec 2>&1
exec 1>/tmp/out
/usr/bin/env > /tmp/myenv
echo "Got $# argument(s): $*" > /tmp/myargs

/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost +localhost
export DISPLAY=localhost:0.

case $1 in
 start) shift;
        echo $$ > /tmp/tst.pid
        exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm $*;;
 stop)  shift;
        kill `cat /tmp/tst.pid`;;
 *)     echo "usage: tst {start|stop}";;
esac
----------------------------------------------------------------8<-------

> Once we nail down the processes, I'll take a stab at the monitrc file,
> and try to add all the features.

Great!!

> On another note, I think for 4.x we can consolidate the
> process/sysdep_*.c files into a single file. In the process of fixing
> the FreeBSD/OpenBSD files, I've run into a lot of stuff that I think can
> be commonized, if the right interfaces are used. (as a matter of fact,
> OpenBSD, FreeBSD 5 and RH 9 kind of force you to use these interfaces
> anyway...)

Everything that can make stuff easier always gets my +1 vote.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland