monit-dev

Re: monit STATUS

From: Rick Robino
Subject: Re: monit STATUS
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:06:37 -0700

Gents,

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 10:56  AM, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

1)
Okay, this was a good suggestion:

                  if failed checksum then unmonitor

Just thought I'd ask that when and if you do put this sort of feature into monit that you might also consider letting a start/stop/action script trigger the un-monitoring of a service - I could handle making my scripts exit a meaningful value, or emit a state code, etc. Some time back there was discussion about the setting/getting of special environment variables and that piqued my interest in being able to prevent spurious restarts, pages, etc, but especially fallback scenarios... notably the ability for my scripts to be able to tell when it's *really* time to send pages out or cut the heartbeat.

I think there is a good case to be made for allowing some very limited, simple handoff communication between monit and outside processes at the points where monit detects that it has to do something. Ok, I guess that case has already been made but I just wanted to emphasize that monit doesn't necessarily have to include every feature like this within itself, that you guys can give yourself a break about releasing the holy grail and let users handle some cases.

BTW, what you guys have done for 4.0 is tremendous. Your parents should be very proud :-)

--
Richard T. Robino
http://www.wavedivision.com/~rrobino/