monit-dev

Re: Status 4.0

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Status 4.0
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:40:33 +0200

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Martin Pala wrote:

I think it is not needed to release public beta - in the case that we
agree that the code is complete, we can do private beta (freeze the
code) and test it for example for one week. If we will find some bugs,
we will fix it and repeat beta testing with new candidate. As soon as
there will not be any urgent issue (we can build TODO list of non-urgent
issues), we can decide whether to release or not. Just my 2 cents ...
maybe this is too expensive for us (we all are busy of some other work too).

Martin
I agree.  We do simply announce a freeze on the general list.  And we do
as many test on as many platforms as possible.  Maybe it is possible to do
it organized.  Everyone doing successful (or non successful) test simply
lists the system and the tested features.  So we can easy list what
features or os/feature combination haven't been tested yet.

Okay, sounds like a plausible plan. Still, I would like to try and
release a beta to the general list when we freeze, it does not hurt
and may even lead to some feedback. We need some pressure, so I
suggest that we announce the freeze this Friday (29. August).
Depending on Martin and Rory's status, of course. (Also I need to fix
the monit.pod and other doc, but it should be ready to Friday).

Agree?

Ps. Christian, do you have time to check out the line number bug in l.l?

OK. For me, only timeout statement question is open - we can either:

1.) keep current behavior
2.) use simple shared form of timeout statament (as described in previous mail) 3.) support standalone timeout limits for every statement (as described in previous mail)

I have farewell party today evening (i'm starting civil service on monday), so i can't do much work on monit until friday. If we'll choose solution 1., we can peacefully tag first beta for testing, otherwise (solutions 2. or 3.) i suggest to wait until it will be implemented (during next week).

Martin