monit-dev

Re: monit '-i' option?

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: monit '-i' option?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 02:07:03 +0200

Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> writes:
*
> In other words I think we should try to find a solution to the
> problem otherwise and it might very well be that Martin's suggestion
> is the best solution. That is, to have monit start services at boot
> time instead of init. I don't know, but I do not think that
> re-adding -i is the best solution so my vote is, -1 in both cases.

Oh, I can see that this was a bit insubstantial. Solutions, we need
solutions, because the problem still remains, especially because
starting monit from init is a very good idea (as originally proposed
by Rory) and we also recommend this in the documentation. If we should
decide not to re-add -i we must at least come up with an alternative.

The easiest is to add Martin's solution to the init section in the man
file. But I can see that this solution might not be the most practical
in many cases, because it may involve (big) changes to a system boot
setup.

Are there other solutions, preferably simple? I know to little about
init, but can something be done there? I'm not thinking about e.g to
start monit in the last run level and stuff like that because that is
just a poorer variant of using the -i switch in monit.

Is it possible that using the -i hack was not so bad an idea after
all? OK, so it doesn't look good on paper but it might be the simplest
and most pragmatic solution. Hmm, I'm LOST and I think I will have to
put my -1 vote on hold.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland