monit-dev

Re: Process Resource Update

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Process Resource Update
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:19:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Martin Pala wrote:

> Sorry for the changes ;)

No problem.

> I have tried the patch on linux, it seems that the memory usage numbers
> differs from what the system says about the process. For exmple slapd
> process:
>
> 1.) System reports:
> unicorn:~/cvs/monit-proc# more /proc/7011/statm
> 3826 670 1369 108 0 3718 0
> /*
> Provides information about memory status in pages.  The columns are:
> size       total program size
> resident   resident set size
> share      shared pages
> trs        text (code)
> drs        data/stack
> lrs        library
> dt         dirty pages
> */

I calculate (trs+drs-share), alternatively for "quick calculation" just
rss is being used.

> unicorn:~# ps -o pid,vsize,sz,rss,dsiz,trs,pmem -p 7011
>    PID   VSZ    SZ  RSS DSIZ  TRS %MEM
>   7011 15304  3826 2680 14880 423  0.5
>

> 2.) Monit reports:
> Memory usage          1.8% [9828kB]
> Total memory usage (incl. children)   1.8% [9828kB]
>

> It is possible that it is correct, i have not looked to the code what
> exactly means the result from monit.

According to the calculations above it is correct... but is the
calculation itself correct???

> > And for those who are interested I have added an experimental method to
> > gather (but not yet monitor!) the used main memory and total CPU load.  It
> > is currently stored in...
> >
> >       Run.total_mem_kbyte
> >       Run.total_mem_percent
> >       Run.total_cpu_percent
> >
> > ... so feel free to play around with it and tell me if it results make
> > sense.
>
> The result of global cpu and memory load looks good :) Only the
> Run.total_mem_kbyte parameter seems to differ from what other system
> tools reports.

Yep... I know... mem is just an estimate... ):  I dont have any shared
pages, because I add just the used memory (see calc. above) of all
processes.

Where ever I can, I can implement a sysdep version where I try to peek the
values directly from the system (like /proc/memory for linux).

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113