monit-general

Re: Please help: monit alerts make qmail complain!

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Please help: monit alerts make qmail complain!
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:02:03 +0200

Jeremy Henty <address@hidden> writes:

> I am setting up monit for the first time to monitor AOLserver.  ATM,
> I am running it in passive mode just to see what it does and does
> not notice.  As a test I set the host to a bogus IP, and monit logs
> these lines:
>
> [GMT Jan 21 16:40:31] 'nsd' timed out when testing INET[192.168.1.45:80]
> [HTTP]
> [GMT Jan 21 16:40:31] Sendmail error: 451 See
> http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html.
>
> The URL is a qmail page complaining that monit is sending email
> messages that are not properly line-terminated.  I looked at
> sendmail.c and AFAICT this message has to come from a call to
> do_status() from inside sendmail().  But sendmail() seems to
> properly terminate all of its lines, so I am bewildered as to why
> qmail is complaining.  Any ideas for tracking this one down?

It turns out that qmail complains about bare line feeds, even for
lines embedded in the mail body. There are one or two places where a
bare line feed could occur inside the message. Anyway this is now
fixed, thanks to Rail Aliev who tracked this down. The fix will be
part of the next monit release or you may check out the current monit
development code from anonymous cvs if you are in a hurry.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland