monit-general

Invalid path for TIMESTAMP?

From: Peter Holdaway
Subject: Invalid path for TIMESTAMP?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:04:34 -0700

Hi,

  I wonder if it is valid for monit to check the existence of a file for
TIMESTAMP purposes?

  I have built the CVS version of monit and I am getting errors like .

monit: The path '/var/lxs/run/Admin.monit' used in the TIMESTAMP statement
at line 26 does not exist

  This happens on a monit reload amongst other commands.

  I am creating files for TIMESTAMP purposes from within my programs and
delete them on exit.

  It would seem that your documentation hints that a TIMESTAMP file does not
have to exist before a program starts.

     The following example is a neat trick for restarting a
     process after a certain time. Sometimes this is a necessary
     workaround for some products, until the vendor fix a
     problem:

      if timestamp "/var/run/crappy_program.pid" > 7 days then restart

Peter