[Monotone-devel] Re: New strange monotone errors

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: New strange monotone errors
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 10:05:32 -0500

Christof Petig wrote:
Christof Petig schrieb:

Well, the netsync performed just fine this morning (though I did get an error in the end, see failure.gz):

your failure, for what it's worth, helped me track down a broken format string in netsync.cc. some other people have already run into it (and I've put in machinery to make it easier to isolate such things in the future).

the upshot was that during netsync, you wrote some manifest certs to disk but not the accompanying manifests (because monotone crashed during formatting of an internal log message). as a result, you had a cert without a manifest, and it complained when you tried to update to the manifest (located by examining certs).

I should make the update algorithm a bit more tolerant about this. in general, it is always possible to have a cert referring to a not-yet-existant version. perhaps it should issue a warning if it selects one as an update target, but then it should back off and continue updating, not crash.

monotone fetch did the trick - all works well again.

yeah, you got the manifest from the fetch. this is another thing which should be fixed: when your db contains a cert which refers to a nonexistent manifest, netsync should always request it in pull/sync modes, to try to "fill in the gaps". currently the manifest request cycle is only triggered by the arrival of *new* certs, and since you already had the cert in question, further netsyncs would not have fixed it.

PS: What's wrong with the mailing list? I do not get my posts back (neither do I see any other).

it appears to have a 3-4 day delay on postings, it has been like this all last week too. perhaps something is wrong with their mailing list software. I have received no reply posting to the savannah hackers list about it.. but then, they probably have such a delay too :(

-graydon