[Monotone-devel] Re: Directories not first class objects in monotone?

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Directories not first class objects in monotone?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:56:51 -0500

Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
I notice that monotone prunes empty directories.  Is it the case
that directories are not first class objects?  How would one
preserve the directory structure of a project?

directories are not first class objects in monotone, no. they are represented implicitly by the existence of files with particular pathnames.

if it's really important for an empty directory to exist, you could put an entry in .mt-attrs and have a hook make the directory when you checkout or update (similar to setting additional file attributes). otherwise we try to keep matters as simple as possible and ignore empty directories.

-graydon