[Monotone-devel] Synchronising changes in two branches WITHOUT the full

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Synchronising changes in two branches WITHOUT the full history?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:30:15 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I'm starting a project where I will do some development that applies
both to the 0.9.7 and 0.9.8-dev branches of OpenSSL.  Those two
branches have a lot of differences (and aren't entirely synchronised,
I dare say...).

What I need to do is to implement a new feature (RFC3820) in both
those branches, and the only way I can currently see is to do diffs
and patches between two working directories that are essentially
separate branches with no common ancestry (I won't import the whole
OpenSSL repository, just a late snapshot of each of those branches).

I wonder if there's a more elegant way to do what I want to do.  I
need to be able to transfer my RFC3820-specific changes without
getting the whole history from whatever is defined as the common
ancestor.  Is there a way to do this?

Note: I may have misunderstood how things like propagate works, so
perhaps that's the way.  I doubt it, though...

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis