[Monotone-devel] Re: Deleting branches

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Deleting branches
Date: 02 Sep 2004 21:31:12 +0200

Bruce Stephens writes:

 > That would also allow one to remove ordinary commits in
 > the case of errors, so long as they're at the head, which
 > is likely to be an intuitive feature.

Why not allow to erase arbitrary commits? Clearly the
branches these commits belonged to would become "unmerged"
in the process, but I think that's fine. That might be
exactly what I want.

 > I've no idea what the user interface might be.

Perhaps the following:

  monotone erase branch temp.foo
  monotone erase manifest SHA1

...?

 > I think that's much nastier. That sort of implies
 > restrospectively altering manifests, and if you alter a
 > manifest then its SHA1 hash changes, and everything
 > breaks!

I'd be perfectly happy if the entire commit could be erased.
I don't really need to erase individual files that are part
of a commit; I'll just commit a fixed version.

Peter