Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Deleting branches

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Deleting branches
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:32:54 +0200

Peter Simons schrieb:
Graydon Hoare writes:

 >   - require you to go around telling everyone to do the erase
 >     too (or hope that you haven't sync'ed before erasing)

This would suffice for my needs. Also, let's not forget
renaming of branches. If I could rename branches, I would
hardly need deletion, actually.

Once an idea came to me to design a cert which replaces the value of another cert (once trusted). This was never discussed (though I mentioned it somewhere). [Another possibility is a cert which invalidates another one and a second one with the new value]

Obvious implications:
cert lookup might get less efficient (though manageable by "caching" visibility info in another column in the database)
  I don't know how well netsync is able to cope with this

Obvious use:
  ChangeLog alteration
  branch alteration
  author email change
  etc.

Since no data is lost (only hidden) I do not think this defeats the purpose of a version control system (or conflicts with netsync's design).

    Christof