[Monotone-devel] Re: Synchronising changes in two

From: Craig M. Lennox
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Synchronising changes in two
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:56:37 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Bruce Stephens
> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:27:42 +0100

> You want cherrypicking, which monotone doesn't yet support.  Arch
> does, but (unless I've missed something) it doesn't really support
> what you want.  That is, I can merge in a selection of changes from
> some other branch, omitting those that I don't want (and it'll
> remember that those have been merged), but it doesn't remember those
> that I deliberately don't want to merge, so commands like star-merge
> will happily try to merge in all the patches that I didn't merge
> before.

Actually, that isn't entirely true.  Star-merge only considers
revisions more recent than the most recent common ancestor of the two
branches as merge candidates.  Once you've merged a patch from one
branch to another, all previous patches on that branch have become
off-limits to star-merge.

Arch also has a command called 'sync-tree', which lets you avoid
unwanted revisions by recording them as already having been merged
(but without actually merging their contents) -- useful, for example,
when parallel branches of code have implemented the same feature or
fixed the same bug independently of each other.

cheers,
Craig

P.S.  Greetings everyone!  I'm a newcomer to the list, and to monotone
itself, but I've been reading up on mailing list archives in an
attempt to learn as much as I can.  It seems fascinating so far.