[Monotone-devel] why is monotone so slow?

From: Georg-W. Koltermann
Subject: [Monotone-devel] why is monotone so slow?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:58:32 +0200

Hi,

I have imported the source code of our software product into monotone as
well as OpenCM.  The source is comprised of roughly 5000 files with a
total size of 320 MB.

Doing a "monotone update" with no changes (nothing to update) takes 42 s
while the equivalent command in OpenCM takes 10 s.  Similarly for other
things, like "monotone status".

        hunter[20]$ time monotone update
        monotone: already up to date at 1163bb07e6261605ba98bc033166d64c8aa582be

        real    0m42.161s
        user    0m8.694s
        sys     0m1.209s
        hunter[21]$ time cm update
        Workspace is up to date.

        real    0m9.926s
        user    0m2.878s
        sys     0m1.509s
        hunter[22]$

Since the disk accesses for the workspace should be the same in both
cases my best guess is that the time in monotone is spent in the SQL
database.  Is there a way to tune that?

--
Regards,
Georg.

P.S.: Comparing the repository space requirements is also interesting.
Monotone uses 237 MB while OpenCM uses 186 MB (gzfs repository type).