Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [long] subdirectory restrictions

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [long] subdirectory restrictions
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:47:20 -0600

graydon hoare wrote:
seconded! this is great news derek, thanks.

- Partial updates: These don't just create a fork; they create a completely
    independent new root node in your branch.

yeah, these are actually very dangerous since they merge so well; I'm happy
just leaving this disabled for a while.

I've removed the restrictions stuff from update, so for now you get the whole enchilada, er manifest.

    There's also the standard pragmatic test, that asks which behavior is
    easier to emulate given the other... in my proposal, to get a full
    version diff, I say
      $ monotone diff
    and to get a diff of the current directory, I say
      $ monotone diff .

I've done this too and it actually simplified the code a bit. The behaviour does seem quite nice.

I've also changed the validation in vocab.cc on local_path to allow "." in a normalized path which I think should be safe. With this, a path argument with the magic number of ../'s from within a working copy normalizes to "." which is the root of the working copy. A "restriction" containing the working copy root is essentially cancelled and treated as though you had typed no paths at all.

--
Cheers,
Derek