Re: [Monotone-devel] interpretation of collection names

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] interpretation of collection names
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:59:52 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:56:13 +0200, Jon Bright
<address@hidden> said:

jon> Peter Simons wrote:
jon> > I've noticed something interesting. When I have a collection
jon> > named "foo", then it will contain branches "foo.bar1" and
jon> > "foo.bar2", but it will _also_ contain "foobar.bad".
jon> > Apparently Monotone does not enforce the existence of the
jon> > dot when matching the branch names.
jon> >
jon> > Is this a bug or a feature?
jon>
jon> Based on the principle of least surprise, my opinion would be that it's
jon> a bug...

I'm not entirely sure of that.  After all, as I see it, the thing with
having periods as separators is nothing more than a convention.
Branch names are entirely separate entities, so having two branches
called "foo.bar" and "foo.bar.baz" only creates a hierarchy because
YOU, the user, decide it is.  As far as monotone in itself is
concerned, they're just branch names with no more semantics than that.

After all, all the merging you do, whether it's done with "monotone
merge" or "monotone propagate", is something you decide to do, and
could just as well be made between the branches "foo" and "baz" for
all I know, and monotone would be happy to do that for you.  The
relationship between manifests is in form of ancestry, not in form of
what branch they belong to.

Cheers,
Richard

-----