[Monotone-devel] Re: Branch Naming

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch Naming
Date: 12 Jan 2005 02:33:50 +0100

Nathaniel Smith writes:

 > I'd actually at that point like to see Monotone _enforce_
 > the requirement of having something that looks like
 > <host>/<branch> for branch names [...].

I see why having Monotone enforce a policy looks like a good
idea, but I am not sure it is. Not every branch I have is
necessarily exported to the world. Actually, the vast
majority my branches is _not_ public. Hence, world-wide
uniqueness is for the most part completely irrelevant to me.

In addition to that, I am generally opposed to arbitrary
limitations in software unless they are _technically_
necessary. Software should do what the user wants, not the
other way round. ;-)

Peter