Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch Naming

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch Naming
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:21:52 -0800

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 08:04:54PM -0600, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> >On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 04:38:18PM -0600, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
> >
> >Afraid I don't follow.  Which proposal is "this way", and what do you
> >mean by the part after that?
> >
> >("collections" only exist in the context of netsync, and are being
> >phased out anyway?)
>
> Sorry this way is domain.com/branch.  Now what's this about collections?

I dunno, we seem to have some confusion of language :-).

"collections" are a concept that applies only to netsync; a
"collection" is a group of branches that should be netsync'ed
together.  If you're not doing netsync, you don't have a collection.
It turns out that our current netsync setup is sub-optimal in a
variety of ways, and the plan is to redo the selection stuff so that
the client basically just provides a branch glob (or regexp or
something), and the various data structures will be generated on the
fly.  Thus "collections" will stop existing entirely.

Perhaps you were thinking that the "collection" was a global grouping
of branches, like for every branch there is a unique collection that
it is a part of?

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey